Every object we construct in a CAD system is measured in units. We should determine the system of units within the CAD system before creating the first geometric entities.
1. In the Menu Bar select:
[Format] -> [Units]
• The AutoCAD Menu Bar contains multiple pulldown menus, where all of the AutoCAD commands can be accessed. Note that many of the menu items listed in the pull-down menus can also be accessed through the Quick Access toolbar and/or Ribbon panels.
2. Click on the Length Type option to display the different types of length units available. Confirm the Length Type is set to Decimal
3. On your own, examine the other settings that are available
4. In the Drawing Units dialog box, set the Length Type to Decimal. This will set the measurement to the default English units, inches.
5. Set the Precision to two digits after the decimal point as shown in the above figure.
6. Pick OK to exit the Drawing Units dialog box.